By sending your Internet traffic through a remote NordVPN server, you can change your IP address and protect your private data from malicious Internet users or ISPs.
In a way, your Internet Protocol (IP) address acts as your personal identification number. Internet Service Providers (ISP) assign one IP address per client, which is used to recognize your computer among the billions of other devices connected to the Internet. It is essential to ensure that your messages and requests for data reach their correct destinations on the web.
The protocol most ISPs use today is IPv4, which contains four numbers that can vary from 0 to 255, separated by a single dot (.), for example, 18.104.22.168. IPv6 is the next-generation IP address standard meant to supplement and eventually replace IPv4.
Why should you consider hiding your IP?
While receiving and sending data online would be impossible without an IP address, it reveals your geographical location. Ever wondered why you couldn’t watch live sports events if you are away from the country? The answer is simple – due to your IP address.
What is more, ISPs, advertisers, and cyber criminals are finding new ways to track your activity on the web. Along with other means, by using your IP address, they can track your behavior online, log your browsing history and gather a significant amount of personal information.
The good news is, by changing your IP address, you can:
- protect your online activity when searching the web, writing emails or downloading content from the Internet;
- experience the Internet without censorship and surveillance;
- enjoy uninterrupted streaming experience without buffering and bandwidth throttling;
- securely share or download files remotely from your workplace or when using P2P network.
Why use VPN to change your IP?
You can use a VPN or a proxy server to replace your IP address and protect your online privacy or access censored content. Since both of these options can get the job done, it is commonly believed that they offer the same functionalities and benefits.
However, free proxy servers do not encrypt your online traffic, while VPN does. Therefore, by using such services as NordVPN, you can change your IP address, while keeping your personal information private and secure.
What is more, NordVPN has introduced proxy extensions for Chrome & Firefox, a lightweight privacy solution that combines the best in proxy and VPN. It will encrypt your browser traffic even if it is not protected by HTTPS.
Protect your identity with NordVPN
By using NordVPN, you can route your network traffic through a remote NordVPN server to replace your real IP address by one matching the server’s location. As a result, all the data traveling from your device is sent via an encrypted connection and can no longer be tracked by your ISPs, hackers or snoopers.
The benefits of protecting your identity with NordVPN:
- After sending your Internet traffic through a remote NordVPN server, you will be sharing an IP address with hundreds of users at the same time, making it even more difficult to track your activity online;
- Due to the strict no logs policy, none of your private data (the time or duration of any online session, servers or IP addresses used, websites visited, or content downloaded) will be monitored or logged at any time;
- In case your VPN connection unexpectedly drops, the DNS leak technology and the automatic Kill Switch will protect your private data from being temporarily exposed to the public.
You may also be interested in
Easiest VPN ever
Download, install and start protecting your online activity with just a few clicks.
NordVPN secures your Internet traffic with cutting-edge encryption technologies.
Our Double VPN technology, allows you to encrypt your Internet traffic twice.
Choose a plan that’s right for you
30-day money-back guarantee.